Keeping animals in your farm on a special disinfector is very convenient and cost effective. For many farmers in our country, such an innovative technology is still a wonder, while in other countries it has been used for a long time and successfully. What is the principle of operation of this modern agricultural product, what is needed to make such a flooring in your pigsty, what are the advantages of the method of how to properly care for the bedding material – you will learn all this from our article.
Description of technology
Many pet owners have many questions at the mention of bacterial bedding. The main thing to understand is that this unique product allows pigs to be kept on a deep modern bed made of bedding material and to exclude the removal of manure.
Some budding farmers may be concerned if bacteria breakdown of the fermentation bed will affect animal health? We hasten to reassure you – such a flooring looks like ordinary shavings or sand. The fermentation process takes place not on its surface, but deep in the layers. The basis of the fermentation litter, on which it is recommended to carry out the correct maintenance of pigs, consists of fermented milk and photosynthetic safe bacteria, which have the ability to quickly and efficiently break down animal waste.
The principle of operation can be globally comparable to the work of dry closets. The pig owner only needs to cover a layer of cover, and he always gets a clean room, without unpleasant odor, warm and dry, in which the pigs are warm and comfortable. Heat is generated by a constant reaction in the deep fermentation bed. Inside it, the temperature can be about +40 degrees, while on the surface it will be no more than 20 – 30.
Perfect technology will enable all livestock breeders to avoid unnecessary costs and forget about the need for daily cleaning of the pigsty.
What is required
Keeping pigs on the amazing bacterial bedding is pretty easy. For most decking with bacteria from various manufacturers, a gap-free and draft-free room is sufficient.
The height of the material layer should be appropriate for the construction of the shed and floor, as well as the number of pigs. On average, the flooring height varies in the region of 40 – 70 cm.
To prevent heat loss, the room must have an insulated concrete floor. If the floor is made of earth, the enzyme bedding cushion should be increased by 10 to 15 cm.
The minimum area allotted for each of the pigs when kept on a decking with bacteria should be from 1 to 1.1 square meters.
Experts recommend that beginners purchase a ready-made fermentation bed for animals. Its use has a lot of undeniable advantages:
- Provided it is used correctly, one layer of material of good thickness will last for 4 to 5 years.
- There is a saving of effort for cleaning, which must be carried out regularly when keeping pigs.
- The breakdown of the waste products of your pets in the deep litter occurs within a day.
- Reduces the cost of additional heating of the livestock.
- There are no unpleasant, pungent odors and dirty areas.
- Reduced morbidity and mortality of individuals in the herd.
- The flooring is a high quality, animal health friendly material of natural origin.
- Allows to significantly reduce the use of labor.
- It is an excellent preventive measure in terms of preventing viral infections in animals.
- Reduces emissions of harmful ammonia into the environment, prevents pollution of groundwater by means of manure.
- Animals will not loosen the flooring the way they usually do with traditional flooring during the winter months.
- With this content, the feed recipe is no different from the traditional one. Only on cold days do animals need to be given more retinas.
- This technology is suitable for both large livestock farms and small pig farms.
How to keep the bedding
Before placing the product, the pigsty should be cleaned of debris, disinfect and whitewash the room.
Sawdust for flooring needs to be taken small, flaky, and even sandy. This substance should make up about 70% of the total flooring. The sawdust should have a moisture content of over 30%. It is best if they lie in a dry place beforehand.
The surface where the deck is to be placed must allow excess moisture to drain. If the pigsty is located in a swampy area, a drainage bed up to 40 cm thick is made from rubble or coarse rocks. Then it should be covered with polyethylene or a banner cloth. This is how the primary waterproofing is done.
It is necessary to place the flooring at a room temperature above 0 degrees. In the pigsty, when placing pigs on such a flooring, there should be no cracks and drafts. You will need to regularly ventilate the pigsty to keep the humidity at the optimum. Monitor temperature readings.
In order for the animals to have excellent health, to be vigorous, to fully develop, the used flooring at the end of the service life must be removed in time. Even if you don’t remember exactly how many years such a flooring has served, you can understand the need to replace it by some signs: it becomes dark, almost black, does not cope well with the absorption of slurry and manure, and stops absorbing unwanted odors. At the end of the shelf life, such a product is at the same temperature as the environment.
Since the product is based on organic compounds, the manure layer can then be used as fertilizer. Its quality depends on how much dry matter is included in the flooring, and what kind of feed the animals received.